As a popular protein that many people around the world indulge in, Cornish game hens are a small subspecies of chicken that generally weigh less than 2 pounds. With that being said, they have a high ratio of bone to meat and the majority of cooks use only one bird for an entire dinner. Much like larger chickens, the cooking directions are relatively the same for Cornish game hens. The most popular method of cooking is roasting with stuffing or even without stuffing. Below are some of the best ways to cook your Cornish hen.
As previously mentioned, the most popular way to cook Cornish game hens is to roast them in the oven.
1. First, you will want to make sure that you preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit and prepare to place it in a roasting pan.
2. Now it is time for you to rinse the hen by running it under cool water and make sure that you absorb any excess moisture with the use of a paper towel.
3. Basting the Cornish game hen is the next step as it will allow them to develop a crisp and delectable crust. Generally you can use any seasoning that you desire, but it can be delicious with a mixture of butter, lemon juice, salt, and garlic powder.
4. You will now want to place the hen in the oven and cook it uncovered for about 2 hours, ensure that you check the internal temperature of the meat every 30 minutes until it reaches 180 degrees Fahrenheit.
Grilling the Cornish Game Hen
The second most popular method associated with cooking Cornish game hens is to grill it. This can be beneficial as it has a more barbecued flavor, much like barbecued chicken.
1. The first step is to cut the hens in half with the use of kitchen shears. You will then want to flatten them with your hands so that they are ready to be washed, seasoned, and cooked.
2. Now you will want to run the hen under cold water and absorb the excess moisture with the use of a paper towel. After this has been completed, it will be time to place them on a grilling rack and prepare the glaze.
3. You can choose any type of glaze and seasoning that you are interested in, though pepper, olive oil, and salt are all popular choices. Once the grill has been started, place them on the rack and brush any excess marinade on the meat. You will want to grill the Cornish game hen for about 40 minutes, until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 180 degrees Fahrenheit.