Steelhead trout is not your regular trout. The trout that you may come across at your normal markets is rainbow trout. Steelhead trout, also known as red steelhead trout, is found in North Atlantic Ocean. The fish usually thrives in cold and very cold water. The primary difference between a normal trout and a steelhead trout is that the flesh of the latter would be much firmer than the flesh of the former.
There are obviously many ways to cook steelhead trout. In here, we shall talk about a simple recipe that wouldn’t need much time to prep or much time to cook. If you have twenty five or thirty odd minutes at your discretion, then you can cook steelhead trout in the following way. Before we start, let us state that you should try to use fresh fillets. You may also buy the steelhead trout and make your own fillets.
Preparation and Cooking
1. You should begin by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F. As the oven gets heated, you should start the prepping.
2. The steelhead trout fillets must be thoroughly cleaned. You should use cold running water. Rinse the fillets and then pat them dry. Don’t wipe any paper towels. Simply tap the towels on the fillets and that would soak up the moisture. Let the fillets dry naturally as well.
3. The marinade can be entirely your choice. You can use some olive oil, some fresh or dried herbs, unsalted butter and black pepper. You may use some other spices to make the dish more interesting. Mix the marinades in a sauté pan and ensure that the ingredients are all finely blended. If the butter doesn’t melt entirely and dissolves the salt and some other ingredients, then you can heat the marinade for a while to allow the butter to dissolve. The butter should melt completely.
4. Take the fillets and brush them with the marinade you have. Marinade both sides of the fillets evenly. You may use some salt or any other spice for your taste at this stage, if you want. Place the fillets in a baking dish. Pick a shallow one, that would allow you to handle the fillets better and the fillets would cook better as well. Place the baking dish inside the oven and let it cook for about ten minutes.
5. After ten minutes, bring out the baking dish, flip the steelhead trout fillets and place them back again inside the oven. Cook them for another five to eight minutes. The longer you cook; browner the fillets would get.