Ham hocks are the part of a cow’s lower legs. It is the one that has the bone, rind, lean meat and fat. As one can see, there is not much to eat in this part. However, if you want to make a flavorful soup or any dishes that would taste good by adding this part, ham hocks would do. It is why it is preferred by people. If you want to have some hot soup to keep you warm during the cold days, you can cook ham cocks or make a dish to taste more. It is the perfect soup like split pea soup, bean soups and also for a list of side dishes like ham hocks and black-eyed peas. It is also nice to be combined with vegetables. So, for those interested to learn how to cook ham hocks, here’s what you will do.
How to Cook Ham Hocks: The Preparation
1. Prepare the ham hocks and other ingredients needed in cooking it. You will need 2 ham hocks, about 8 cups of cool water, 2 teaspoon or red pepper or garlic powder. If you do not want to put either of these two, it is fine since it is only optional. Lastly, you will need a stockpot. For the ham hocks, you can get from your butcher. Or, just buy a fresh one where you are doing your grocery shopping.
2. Start boiling water. Next on how to cook ham hocks is to unwrap it from its packaging. Wash the meat and place it in boiling water. If you are going to make a soup, just place the meat in the pan along with the necessary ingredients that still need to be softened.
3. But, to cook the meat with no other ingredients included, what you will need to do is to place it in the stockpot along with the cups of water. Make sure that the placed water is cool so that the flavors of the meat will be drawn out. The flavor of the meat will be released from it as the water starts warming up.
4. Begin heating the stockpot by setting it in high heat. As it boils, do not forget to cover it and reduce heat from medium to low. Cooking the meat will take about 2 hours. You should know that it is cooked once it is already tender and appears like the meat will fall off of its bones.
5. Once it is cooked, remove the ham hocks from the stockpot. Start removing its meat from the bones and set aside the bones. The gristle and fat part of the meat should be trimmed. Once the ham hocks are cooked, you can now add the meat in making soup or mix it in making ham hocks and black-eyed peas.
6. There is still the stock to consider. Skim it along with the fat and bring it to boil. The stock will be used in the soup to be made.
This is the preparation made on how to cook ham hocks. Once the stock boils, you now have your soup. To make it tastier, add seasoning to the ham hocks.