Snow Crabs are caught in cold waters such as in the Atlantic, Arctic, and Pacific Oceans. This is a wonderful, low fat and low calorie shellfish. This crab is commonly eaten in Northern Europe, Japan, and North America. They are also shipped to other countries for export. There are several ways to prepare snow crabs like steaming, baking, and grilling, but the easiest and most common method to prepare them is boiling.
Boiling Snow Crab Legs
1. When buying snow crab legs, make sure to buy those that will fit in your largest cooking pot at home. Snow crab legs bend, and you would want to boil them without cutting them with kitchen shears.
2. Thaw the snow crab legs. Place them in your fridge overnight with cover. Most crab legs are immediately cooked after being caught. However, they are frozen to keep them fresh. If they are still frozen in the morning, you can place them in a large container filled with water.
3. Fill your pot with water. Add salt and then set the burner to high. Allow the water to reach full boil and place the snow crab legs into the pot. The water will stop boiling once you drop the crab legs on the pot, so you need to bring it to full boil again.
4. Boil the snow crab legs for about 4-5 minutes, before placing them in a bowl.
5. Drain the water and then cut the snow crab legs shell with kitchen shears horizontally.
Steaming Snow Crab Legs
Another option to cooking snow crab legs is steaming. You need to find the largest pot or pain in your kitchen. Your pot needs to have a strainer and a lid to be used for steaming. It may be difficult to steam whole crab legs, so you need cut them at joints. To steam snow crab legs, you need to follow these steps.
1. Thaw the frozen snow crab legs and then rinse them after.
2. Fill your large pot with water at half full. Sprinkle water with salt and them cover the pot.
3. Turn on your stove top burner to max heat to bring the water to full boil.
4. When water has reached to full boil, place the snow crab legs in the steamer.
5. Cover the steamer basket, and let the crab legs steamed for 5-6 minutes.
6. After six minutes, remove the crab legs and then serve immediately.
Grilling and baking are other methods in cooking snow crab legs. Basically, these methods are also easy, but steaming and boiling are the easiest way to prepare crab legs. In addition, things that you need in preparing snow crab legs include water, large pot, salt, strainer basket, metal things, strainer basket, seafood forks, lemon wedges, and butter. As for the butter, you may choose clarified butter instead of melted butter. It is necessary to serve crab legs while hot to ensure it’s still fresh. Cooking snow crab legs is pretty easy. You only need to preheat them as they are already cooked before being sold at commercial stores.